Friday, July 23, 2021

Labyrinth VR - Tenth Update

We're in the home stretch for this project with just one sprint left after this one, so most of what's happening in the experience is related to bug fixing and ensuring the mechanics and lighting are in a good place.

I spent some time this week polishing the physics of the mute door knocker, ensuring that the handle is able to be removed from his mouth without issue or flying off into the ether. As of this update, the mute door knocker is not going to be interactive, since the handle clipping into his head makes the swinging physics joint too volatile. This was something I thought I'd fixed in a previous sprint, but it turns out I accidentally left it with physics marked "on," so I reset that and ensured it was working properly in engine.

The majority of my time was spent working on sound attenuation. I did a little more research into UE4's "Sound at Location" node, and realized the reason the sound didn't have a location was because it didn't have an attenuation radius. I set up one for the goblin laughs and one for the door knocker voices, and added them in game. Then it was just a lot of back and forth testing to ensure the sounds carry to the user, but seem to come from a location in the experience.

After Daniela spent time on another lighting pass in the tower, I went through and ensured my slightly "expensive" stained glass window still worked for the tower and wasn't causing any framerate issues. Thankfully this was a pretty "cheap" level, so we don't currently have any problems.

I've also been going through each blueprint used in game to ensure that they are as optimized as I can manage to make them. This is something that will carry over into next sprint too.

Lastly, due to recent feedback, I opted to remove the aura "guideline" post-processing shader from the game. I may try and implement something over the next week and a half that will be more subtle, but since this is supposed to be immersive and not a "game," I agreed with the feedback and decided to cut it for now. 

Currently, in lieu of the aura, the plan is to have Ludo's wave animation and call of "Friend," until the player interacts with him. Hopefully this, plus the addition of the sound attenuation (for the door knockers), will be enough to guide the player through the experience.S

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog